What is Sustainable Real Estate?
Sustainability consists of 3 elements; social, economic and environmental. How we live and the homes we choose to inhabit can have a major impact on our lives and the lives of those around us. When purchasing, selling or designing real estate there is a lot more to consider than just the price and location if you’d like your home to sustain you, your community and your planet for years to come.
Elements of Sustainable Real Estate Include:
Many of these categories overlap, fortunately, home purchasing is one of the categories where doing the right thing economically, socially and environmentally usual line up.
- Proximity to entertainment, community resources, parks and playgrounds, community centres, religious institutions, communities of personal interest, etc.
- Neighbourhood collaboration and cooperation
- Shared space, shared responsibility
- Collaborative purchase and design
- Cooperative purchase and/or development
- Rental suites / mortgage helpers
- Making a sound investment in a volatile economy
- Using real estate, renters, etc. to create wealth
- Proximity to amenities, shopping, entertainment, employment, parks, etc., ideally walking distance
- Proximity to bike and transit routes
- Rental suites / higher density living
- Home energy efficiency
- Green technologies such as heat pumps and heat reclamation, solar and on-demand hot water, etc.
- Locally sourced / reclaimed materials in development and restoration
For more information visit Choosing a Realtor.
Your home is a reflection of your values!
Your home: The biggest social, economic and environmental decision you will ever make!
Inhabit the change you want to see in the world!